Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Treehut is Occupied. Oh my!

I forgot to post my illustration, Treehut Occupied, yesterday with the #colour_collective fun. It's never too late to share though, right?

This was another fun experiment with the color of the week khaki in a full-on monochromatic illustration. I started with a sketch from #inktober2016 dragons and played around with values in Procreate on my old iPad (new one has been ordered -- wahoo!), and then brought it into Photoshop to add final details. I love the idea of illustrating middle grade books, so you'll probably see more work like this coming up.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with this one yet. But I did have fun, and ... dragon! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Successful or not? Suggestions? Critiques?

children's book illustration by Traci Van Wagoner
©2017 Traci Van Wagoner

2 comments:

  1. This is evocative, intriguing and strong. It makes me want to know more... Will the kids go up the steps? Who is really up there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Mirka. I may have to write a story around this.

      Delete